This post is by Bernie Carr, apartmentprepper.com
An emergency can happen anywhere, anytime and you may have to cope with only the items you happen to be carrying with you.
Over the years I have changed a few things on my every day carry (EDC) list. On one hand, I don’t want to be carrying a huge purse that attracts thieves; on the other hand, I like to be prepared. I like to make sure each item is useful enough to keep around, even if there is no emergency.
What are my every day carry items?
- Solar watch – A couple of years ago, I decided to switch to a watch that runs on solar power, as I got tired of having to buy new batteries. Even my dressy “Sunday” watch is solar powered. I have never gone back to battery powered watches.
- Paracord bracelet
- Taser/flashlight – I researched choices between stun gun, taser or pepper spray. When making your own choice, check the laws in your state, as some states prohibit them. Before carrying, know how to use it as there can be unforeseen pitfalls.
- Pocket aid kit – has various sizes of band-aid, pain reliever, diarrhea and allergy medicine; I also added a few prescription medicines that the family uses.
- 8 oz Bottled water
- Small granola bar, 1-2 pieces of candy, gum
- Swiss Army Knife, safety pin
- Small wallet that includes ID, insurance information, debit card and $20 cash
- Small book of matches
- Cell phone
Of course, I also have a car emergency kit in case I get stranded.
These items have come in handy more times than I can remember; that’s why I never leave home without them.
What’s in your every day carry list? Please share in the comments below!
© Apartment Prepper 2015