Whether you have old debts or new debt incurred from recent Christmas spending, you know that feeling that comes over you when you JUST KNOW you need to do something. But just like prepping for the first time, planning to get out of debt can be overwhelming.
What first steps can you take to when you want to get out of debt?
1. The first step is simple but requires self discipline: Stop using your credit cards! Do whatever you need to do to get out of the habit of using credit.
- Don’t keep your credit cards in your wallet within easy reach-leave them at home.
- Store the cards away in a safe deposit box.
- Some people freeze their cards in a block of ice, or take the more drastic measure of cutting them up.
- Even if you cut up your cards, don’t cancel the cards because some creditors will immediately expect you to pay the debt in full, OR, your credit rating will be negatively affected by the loss of credit.
2. Check the balances for all your debts, interest rate and monthly payments so you know what you are up against. Knowing this number will stop you from being in denial about how much you really owe.
Once you’ve done the two steps above, you’ll need to track and slash your spending and make a budget. I am doing various cost cutting measures and will write about it in a future posts.
Please share your favorite money saving tips in the comments!
Birch Essential Oil for Arthritis, Muscle and Joint Pain
Take care and have a great week everyone!
© Apartment Prepper 2015