This post is by Bernie Carr, apartmentprepper.com
I tend to get itchy, chapped hands so I wanted to see if I can make an inexpensive liquid hand that is gentle and non-drying. I am a big fan of Dr. Bronner’s Liquid Magic Soap, as you can see from this review. So I used the soap bar version as a base for my liquid hand soap. Here is what I did.
12 1/2 cups of water
You will also need: cheese grater, large pot, large funnel, liquid soap dispenser (I used recycled empty ones)
1. Grate the bar of soap using the cheese grater.
2. Boil 3 liters of water.
3. Add the grated soap and stir well.
4. Add the glycerin.
5. Continue boiling until the soap melts. The water will be a bit bubbly but overall somewhat clear.
6. Let stand overnight.
6. When I checked it the next day, the liquid had become filmy. It needed to be mixed so I used a fork to stir it up.
6. Using a large funnel, pour the liquid soap into a large empty jug for storage (best done over the sink.) The liquid tends to pour in large quantities so do it very slowly. Once it’s in a more manageable container, fill up a recycled soap dispenser. Don’t forget to wash your cheese grater and all other utensils before using for food.
I estimated how much this whole project cost: $4 for the soap and a few cents worth of glycerin (it was $3 for the small bottle of glycerin): $7 total initial outlay made 3 liters of liquid soap, which equates to about $40 of liquid soap.
More importantly, did it work? I had never tried this before so I wasn’t sure if it would turn out well. I tested the new hand soap: it lathered up just enough and smelled clean. It felt a lot like store bought liquid soap but not as strong and drying.
Additional Notes: This was my first try so I am not sure how other soaps would work. I would think other soap brands would work just as well, as long as they are not overly moisturized such as Dove soap, as that would change the consistency. I also thought adding a few drops of your favorite essential oil would work. If you like it extra sudsy, use a foaming soap dispenser.
© Apartment Prepper 2012