This post is by Bernie Carr, apartmentprepper.com
I made yogurt in the crockpot and I am here to tell you how easy it is to make your own yogurt.
You will need:
1/2 gallon of milk (I used Borden’s Whole Milk, but you can use any brand)
1/2 cup of plain yogurt, any brand (I used Oikos Greek style yogurt since I like Greek style yogurt and it was on sale for $1 at Walmart, but you don’t have to)
slow cooker, measuring cup
1. Pour the milk into the slow cooker and set on low for 2 1/2 hours. I did this step around 4 in the afternoon.
2. Unplug the crockpot and leave it alone for 3 hours. Around 6:30 pm, it was time to unplug the crockpot. Do not remove the lid, just leave it alone.
3. After the 3 hours is up (around 9:30 p.m. when I did it), take 1 cup of milk out of the crockpot and mix in a bowl with half a cup of plain yogurt. Mix well with a wire whisk. My wire whisk was missing so I just mixed it well with a fork. Pour the milk/yogurt mixture back into the crockpot and mix well with the rest of the milk. Place the lid back on. I set some aluminum foil on top before placing the cover (optional).
4. Wrap the entire crockpot with 2 large towels. As you can see in the photo, I used a couple of bath towels.
5. Leave it alone for 8-12 hours. I checked mine at around 9 am the next morning. All the mixture had turned into yogurt.
I mixed it around a bit and transferred the yogurt into smaller containers.
6. Refrigerate for 24 hours and it is ready. I actually cheated and tasted it after 8 hours and it tasted good, just a bit watery. After 24 hours it was a great consistency and had a pleasant taste. It was so good, I only added about a teaspoon of honey for flavor. I let the family taste it and they liked it.
All in all, the yogurt in a crockpot was a success. The flavor is great, I don’t think I will go back to store bought yogurt, except to resupply on the plain yogurt if I run out. For about $3.50, you get about $10-$12 worth of good yogurt. If you like yogurt, try this yourself; it is amazingly easy!
© Apartment Prepper 2011