Most of the time, prepping articles deal with very serious matters, and why not, emergencies and disasters can be grim subjects. On the other hand, prepping does have a lighter side.
Let’s look at a handful of prepper guilty pleasures…
- Good eats Opening up a bag of dehydrated fruit, and, unexpectedly finding that it’s so good you finished the whole bag. This happened to me as I opened a bag of dehydrated pineapple. Before I knew it, I had eaten the whole thing before anyone else got to try it.
- Survival fiction. Get cozy under a blanket and read a fictional tale such as Lights Out OR watch an alarming movie such as Contagion. Munch on popcorn and breath a sigh of relief that nothing is happening right now. We do the best we can to prepare for an emergency but no one really wishes for it to happen. A bonus to this one is #3.
- Someone you care about finally decides to prep You can’t really convince someone to prep until they feel ready. But one of these days, your loved one who has been resistant to prepping is finally going to be convinced. It may be because you showed them it’s not just about “beans, bullets and band-aids” by stocking up on something that’s important to them (Kashi bars, Aunt Jemima syrup, tampons or Tabasco sauce – you name it) or something you watched together that it finally clicked. Now they’re on board and even more pumped about prepping than you are. You bite your tongue to keep from saying “I told you so!” Instead, you’ll be your understanding self as you give yourself a pat on the back.
- Being the only one who came prepared. While at an outdoor kid’s birthday party, the host was trying to open gifts that came in bubble packs but no one had a knife. Mr Apt Prepper, who always keeps a small pocket knife came to the rescue and got all those packages opened.
- Gear mania. Let’s face it, gear is fun. Now you can justify getting that ultra light 4-season tent because it’s not just for camping anymore! Just be careful you don’t go overboard on those extra bells and whistles!
Some days it seems the world is fraught with so many perils and there is so much to worry about. Why not allow yourself a few guilty pleasures and be grateful for the little things.
Water is one of the biggest needs when it comes to survival. Whether bugging out or sheltering in place, you can never have enough clean water for survival: For your water purifier needs, please visit:
For beginning preppers