If you have been reading my posts for a while you know we had set aside a few bulk food storage items in 5 gallon buckets. If you have not seen the post, check out Survival Food Storage.
We had one bucket left and no more bulk foods to pack so we decided to pack Health and First Aid supplies in the last bucket. Here is what it contains:
- Aspirin and acetaminophen
- Zyrtec and Benadryl, asthma inhalers
- Cold medicine
- Anti-diarrhea meds and Alka-Seltzer
- Band aids, surgical tape, gauze and other wound care supplies
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Vitamin C and multivitamins
We do have separate First Aid kits in the cars and at home, these are more long term supplies.
A few other notes:
- We packed the Band Aids in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers
- Some of the medications came in individual dose packets; we packed them in mylar bags.
- We bought the pain relievers and other medications in bulk as they had lower prices than buying from drugstore sales even with coupons.
- Remove the outer box packaging from all other bottled items to save on space. The bottles are already air tight with their own oxygen absorbers so need not be repacked.
- Choose items with the farthest expiration dates, which are usually found further back in the store shelves.
- Label the bucket properly; you may want to have a detailed list of contents saved or taped outside the bucket.