This post is by Bernie Carr, apartmentprepper.com
Many areas has been having heavy rains these past couple of weeks. Any amount of rain results in puddles and other forms of standing water: breeding grounds for mosquitoes. Mosquitoes seem to multiply during the spring and summer. Just taking a half hour walk in the morning, you can wound up with multiple mosquito bites on your arms and other exposed areas. It’s a good idea to apply insect repellent but you may still get bitten if you miss an area.
If you’ve ever had a mosquito bite, you know how itchy they can get. Don’t scratch! Scratching provides momentary relief, but spreads the itch even more.
10 easy remedies for itchy mosquito bites
- Miracle Salve I have found that the Miracle Healing Salve, (originally found on Backdoor Survival), works to relieve mosquito bite itching, among many other uses. I have made several batches of this salve.
- Deodorant My son’s science teacher swears by deodorant to relieve itching. I’ve tried both scented and unscented, they seem to work equally well for a short time.
- Adhesive bandage Mr. Apartment Prepper just places a band-aid over the bite. It prevents further irritation from brushing up against surfaces and you eventually forget that it’s there.
- Alcohol Place a dab of rubbing alcohol directly on the bite – it does help.
- Baking soda and water Make a paste of baking soda and water and apply directly on the itch.
- Ammonia and water Mix equal parts of plain ammonia and water and apply on the itchy area with a cotton ball.
- Vick’s Vapor Rub My grandmother swore by this remedy. When we were kids, she would dab a small amount of Vick’s Vapor Rub on the itchy bite.
- Tea tree oil Mix five to six drops of tea tree oil with one tablespoon of olive oil. Apply with a cotton ball directly on the bite.
- Apple cider vinegar I already use apple cider vinegar to ward off colds; it works to relieve itch as well. Place apple cider vinegar on a cotton ball and rub directly on the bite. The smell goes away after a few minutes.
- X marks the spot If you find yourself without any of these home remedies, use a clean fingernail and make an “X” right on the bite. This seems to relieve the itch for a short time.
These are just some of the remedies that I have tried myself. What are your favorite mosquito bite relievers?
We are an affiliate of Amazon.com, which means we received a small commission if you click through one of our Amazon links when you shop, at totally no cost to you. This helps keep the lights on at the blog. Thanks!
About the author:
Bernie Carr is the founder of Apartment Prepper. She has written several books including the best-selling Prepper’s Pocket Guide, Jake and Miller’s Big Adventure, The Penny-Pinching Prepper and How to Prepare for Most Emergencies on a $50 a Month Budget. Her work appears in sites such as the Allstate Blog and Clark.com, as well as print magazines such as Backwoods Survival Guide and Prepper Survival Guide. She has been featured in national publications such as Fox Business and Popular Mechanics. Learn more about Bernie here.