Written by Bernie Carr
A lot of people I know use brew their daily coffee with a K-cup machine using Keurig or other similar coffee pods. No doubt, they do make a good, strong cup of coffee but what happens when the power is out? The machine won’t work and you’ll have to do without. Not necessarily!
I found out about this non-electric K-cup coffee maker and I was so fascinated the idea of an off-grid K-cup coffeemaker, I had to buy one. This article is not a paid or sponsored review – I bought the item myself so I could try it out.
The Presto MyJo
The Presto MyJo Single Cup Coffee Maker is a manual coffee maker that uses K-cups. Because it’s non-electric, you can have it as a backup coffee maker when the power is out, and you can take it with you on road trips, camping or backpacking. As long as you can make some hot water, you can easily make your daily cup of joe with using those same K-cups.
Testing the Presto MyJo
- The unit is very simple and easy to assemble. Just connect the pump with the fitted lid. The MyJo also comes with a refillable K-cup so you can save money by filling it with ground coffee. For my test, I used a store bought K-cup.
- I heated some water to boiling.
- Place the assemble MyJo over your coffee cup.
- Remove the pump lid and pour hot water into the canister. The lines on the side indicate the amount of water to pour, depending on the side of your cup.
- Pump the water with one hand while holding the MyJo with the other hand, firmly over your cup. The water will not drip down unless you pump.
- Repeat until your cup is filled to your liking.
That’s it! It’s very simple to use. The coffee was tasty with the same quality that an electric K-cup coffee maker brews.
As a long time coffee drinker, I’ve tried several alternatives for off-grid coffee, including roasting my own beans without electricity. I personally use a pour-over coffee maker at home normally, but now that I have the MyJo, I’ll be taking this one on road trips, camping or backpacking since it worked well. If you normally use an electric K-cup coffee maker, the MyJo is a great backup in case the power goes out.
Here is a link to my video so you can see the test result:
We are an affiliate of Amazon.com, which means we received a small commission if you click through one of our Amazon links when you shop, at totally no cost to you. This helps keep the lights on at the blog. Thanks!
About the author:
Bernie Carr is the founder of Apartment Prepper. She has written several books including the best-selling Prepper’s Pocket Guide, Jake and Miller’s Big Adventure, The Penny-Pinching Prepper and How to Prepare for Most Emergencies on a $50 a Month Budget. Her work appears in sites such as the Allstate Blog and Clark.com, as well as print magazines such as Backwoods Survival Guide and Prepper Survival Guide. She has been featured in national publications such as Fox Business and Popular Mechanics. Learn more about Bernie here.
Gotta nab me one of these! 🙂
Glad you like this one! It’s great to have for travel and for emergencies. Thanks for the comment.