This post is by Bernie Carr,
I’ve been watching reports about Hurricane Dorian that has been moving across the Atlantic and is now expected to hit Florida sometime during the Labor Day Weekend. As of this writing, it is expected to gather strength and develop into a major hurricane (Category 3 or stronger) as it approaches the Southeastern U.S.
Last minute hurricane preparation
To my readers in Florida and the surrounding areas, you still have time to get ready.
Procure at least a week’s supply of the following if you haven’t already done so.
- water (one gallon per person per day) and a way to purify water. Line your bathtub and fill with water in case tap water is compromised.
- food – Include food that is easy to prepare in case you lose power. Don’t forget comfort food such as chocolate, chips, tea and coffee; special needs foods such as baby formula.
- disposable eating utensils so you don’t need to wash dishes
- lighting – plenty of flashlights, batteries, lanterns and chargeable light sources
- cooking backup such as a propane stove or wood burning portable stove
- battery powered or crank radio
- cash in case debit or credit cards are not working
- clean clothes – Wash clothes before the storm hits!
- hygiene and personal care items, toilet paper
- trash bags
- first aid, including prescriptions
- pet food and supplies
- entertainment that does not require electricity
- basic tools in case of fallen branches or minor repairs: ax, saw, duct tape, rope, plastic tarp
I pray ya’ll stay safe everyone!
If you found value in the article, please help us keep this site free by supporting Apartment Prepper on Patreon. Click here: https://www.patreon.com/apartmentprepper No worries if you are not able to, I’ll still keep writing!